Re: Delete function disabled

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Colin Beckingham <colbec(at)start(dot)ca>
Cc: Nick Rogers <nrogers64(at)hotmail(dot)com>, pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Delete function disabled
Date: 2011-11-24 09:59:56
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 9:53 AM, Colin Beckingham <colbec(at)start(dot)ca> wrote:

> On 11/24/2011 03:52 AM, Nick Rogers wrote:
>>
>> I use pgAdmin v1.14.0 multiple databases stored on multiple servers. I
>> am able to use the GUI to insert rows and edit existing rows. But when
>> it comes to deleting rows, I am forced to manually type in the SQL to
>> delete the rows because the "Delete" toolbar button is disabled as well
>> as the "Delete" item in the "Edit" menu. This is the case for all of the
>> servers I connect to, including localhost. Why is this happening?
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> I get this as well. However if the table has OIDs then the delete button
> activates no problem.

It needs either a primary key or OIDs to allow deletes. By default,
you'll get a guru hint warning you that you need one of them when you
first open a table without, but it's possible to suppress that hint
and then forget about it 12 months later :-)

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company