Re: code completion feature question

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: David Greco <David_Greco(at)harte-hanks(dot)com>
Cc: Bartosz Dmytrak <bdmytrak(at)eranet(dot)pl>, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>, PgAdmin Support <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: code completion feature question
Date: 2012-03-14 16:49:29
Lists: pgadmin-support
On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 3:04 PM, David Greco
<David_Greco(at)harte-hanks(dot)com> wrote:
> Let me voice my agreement for this as a feature sorely missing from pgAdmin.
> Should be able to do full code completion of column names (aliased or not
> table names), function names (type schema. and functions should be available
> as a completion), and function paramaters (type functioname( and it displays
> a list of the parameters for that function).

As Guillaume pointed out, the code completion comes from psql. pgAdmin
uses the same source code to avoid having to maintain a separate
engine. Once psql gains the ability to autocomplete SELECT column
names (which I believe is unlikely to happen, as without knowing the
table name, even a moderately sized database could end up listing
thousands of columns), then we'll update the pgAdmin source tree with
the latest and greatest from psql.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com