Re: Windows x86-64 One-Click Install (9.1.2-1, 9.0.6-1) hangs on "initialising the database cluster" (with work-around)

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Dharmendra Goyal <dharmendra(dot)goyal(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Eric Borts <eborts(at)bltek(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Windows x86-64 One-Click Install (9.1.2-1, 9.0.6-1) hangs on "initialising the database cluster" (with work-around)
Date: 2012-01-29 10:02:17
Lists: pgsql-bugs
On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 2:47 AM, Dharmendra Goyal
<dharmendra(dot)goyal(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 2:17 AM, Eric Borts <eborts(at)bltek(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>> The installation now runs successfully after deleting that registry key.
>>
>> In addition, I tried changing the default action on batch files from
>> "Open" to "Edit" using the registry (Windows 7). Double-clicking a file
>> opens it in Notepad, but the installation runs successfully. So it looks
>> like the UserChoice registry key, however it got there, is the essence of
>> the problem.
>>
>> Which, of course, %COMSPEC% /c would avoid because the program handling
>> batch files is explicit.
>
> Nice analysis Eric. ANy idea why (which program set this) this particular
> registry was set.
>
> Dave, shall we consider using "%COMSPEC% /c" with 0 as second parameter..??

We can certainly try it, though I'm concerned it may break more
systems than it fixes, eg. those where %COMSPEC% has been
intentionally changed because the use wants to use a different shell.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company