Re: [pgsql-www] One click installer a bit bare?

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-www] One click installer a bit bare?
Date: 2011-10-06 16:37:14
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 5:13 PM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> (Putting this back on PostgreSQL Advocacy, which is where the thread
> was started)

Err, no it wasn't. If you wish to discuss pgAdmin's design,
pgadmin-hackers is the place to do it, not pgsql-www which is where
the thread started, or pgsql-advocacy where you've now moved it.

> On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 4:13 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>
>>> What objection is there to giving users an option to sign up to the
>>> Announce list? Is there a problem with the Announce list??
>>
>> pgAdmin III has supported multiple distributions of PostgreSQL for
>> almost as long as I can remember (certainly much longer ago than when
>> either you or I started at EDB), not just the community version. One
>> argument against adding such a link is that we should then also add
>> similar ones to the EDB and EMC/Greenplum sites.
>>
>> I also stand by my previous argument, that this is not the sort of
>> thing we should be cluttering the UI's menus with. The more
>> appropriate place for such links is the docs (and I certainly have no
>> objection to improvements there).
>
> Why would this "clutter" the menu? It is 1 item, alongside links that
> already exist to the websites mentioned.

Per my comment above, arguably it should be three.

> If we were worried about such clutter, we could enable/disable
> depending upon the system type you connect to - so if you connect to
> Greenplum it offers you Greenplum help etc, but if you don't it skips
> that menu option.

pgAdmin can connect to multiple database servers at once. Further to
that, one of the basic design rule of GUI applications is that you
don't show and hide menu options on the main menus because it confuses
users (that is only done on the "real" context sensitive menus, which
are accessible elsewhere, in predictable places).

> I have zero interest in putting options on the menus
> of pgadmin when used with other products, only in making sure people
> that use open source PostgreSQL get access to the open source
> PostgreSQL web site. Call it context-sensitive menus. That would
> reduce menu clutter by 2 items - in all cases.

Just because you have zero interest in it, it doesn't mean that the
pgAdmin developers or other users have zero interest in it. The
project has always taken pride in supporting forks of Postgres.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company