Re: One click installer a bit bare?

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: One click installer a bit bare?
Date: 2011-10-06 15:13:25
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

[BCC: pgsql-www, To: pgadmin-hackers]

On Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 3:53 PM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 3:18 PM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>
>>> OK, if we don't want to put that there, why not add it as a menu item
>>> to pgadmin?
>>>
>>> That way we'll catch people even after they've run installer.
>>
>> We don't even have the pgAdmin mailing lists on the pgAdmin menus
>> (they're in the Helpfile). I'm not sure I can recall any software that
>> has such links on it's menus, at least not professionally produced
>> products.
>
> ...investigates...
>
> pgAdmin has links to the Slony, EDB and EMC websites but nothing to
> the pgadmin or postgresql websites.

No, it has links to the PostgreSQL, pgAdmin, Slony, PPAS and GPDB
online help, which can be either local, or remote. It will try to find
local docs, otherwise it'll default back to the websites. Some
installers may also pre-configure it to use the local helpfiles they
install.

Note also that those menu options are just quick links to the help
indexes, as you might find on any app. There are also deep links
within the product; for example, edit a table on a PostgreSQL database
and click the Help button on the dialogue, and you'll be taken to the
appropriate doc page in the PG docs wherever pgAdmin thinks they are.

> What objection is there to giving users an option to sign up to the
> Announce list? Is there a problem with the Announce list??

pgAdmin III has supported multiple distributions of PostgreSQL for
almost as long as I can remember (certainly much longer ago than when
either you or I started at EDB), not just the community version. One
argument against adding such a link is that we should then also add
similar ones to the EDB and EMC/Greenplum sites.

I also stand by my previous argument, that this is not the sort of
thing we should be cluttering the UI's menus with. The more
appropriate place for such links is the docs (and I certainly have no
objection to improvements there).

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com