Re: Feature request: autosave for Query Tool

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: "pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Feature request: autosave for Query Tool
Date: 2011-08-26 19:20:58
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 8:09 PM, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
> Despite the improvements, pgAdmin is still a bit crashy on Mac.  I think
> this will continue to be the case for some releases to come.

Really? I use it every day and don't recall the last time I saw a
crash that wasn't caused by development code. Crash reports are always
helpful...

> In the meantime, it would be useful if we could define an autosave
> interval for query windows.  Currently, losing hours of SQL tinkering
> work when pgadmin crashes unexpectedly is a fact of life.
>
> Ones related to saved files would be saved to their files, and unnamed
> windows would be saved to /tmp/.  I'd picture a single preferences
> setting, which would set the autosave interval in minutes.

Yes, that would be a nice addition. I'm not sure I'd want it to save
to the original file though, incase I was intending to save it under
another name. Probably just have it auto-save to the home directory or
somewhere less potentially volatile than /tmp, and offer to recover
that file if it exists the next time the query tool is opened.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company