Re: BUG #6705: 32 bit

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, gj19861103(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: BUG #6705: 32 bit
Date: 2012-06-27 10:20:22
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 7:25 AM, Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au> wrote:
> On 06/26/2012 06:26 PM, Dave Page wrote:
>>
>> Any ideas for a one-liner to add? I'm struggling to find nice wording,
>> that doesn't invite people to report issues without investigating
>> themselves first:
>>
>> * If you need help, please review http://xxxxxx before seeking further
>> assistance.
>

> The positive wording is good. Maybe even:
>
> "Guidance for resolving installation issues can be found at http://.... "

Hmm, yeah, I like that.

> ... where that provides the common-issues list, a pointer to look at the
> installation log, then a report template for cases where it wasn't one of
> the common quick-fixes.
>
> I'm happy to work on the docs side, possibly even do a quick JavaScript+form
> report template to ensure fields like detailed OS version, exact Pg version,
> etc are supplied.

Thanks. We already have some of that on the Wiki, but you know that of course.

> Which reminds me, I need to find out how to detect whether
> a Windows box is on a domain with non-default group policy, and how/if
> antivirus can be detected.

Running on a domain is easy (wmic ntdomain), and the AV can either be
found in the list of running processes or installed programs I
believe. I can't find any way to see if a non-default group policy is
(or has previously been) applied.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com