Re: More information about the selected objects

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: Vinicius Santos <vinicius(dot)santos(dot)lista(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: More information about the selected objects
Date: 2012-07-14 17:57:19
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
On Saturday, July 14, 2012, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:

> On Sat, 2012-07-14 at 11:28 -0300, Vinicius Santos wrote:
> >
> >         Not sure I like the point either. We don't have that notation
> >         on
> >         PostgreSQL. I think I would prefer something like "Retrieving
> >         details on
> >         table schema.table" and not say the database. Because if you
> >         add the
> >         database, someone will probably want also the server. It may
> >         not be
> >         usefull to you, but it'll come at some point. And that's quite
> >         a lot of
> >         informations.
> >
> > I agree.
> >

> >         Probably we could add some status boxes in the status bar. For
> >         exemple,
> >         a box with a "user(at)database (server)" (with a lock icon if you
> >         use SSL
> >         for example. Just a thought.
> >

> > I liked the idea!
> >
> > We could add status boxes in front of the information "Retrieving
> > details ...".
> >
> > For example, suppose that is the status bar:
> >
> > With 3 status boxes:
> >
> > || "Retrieving details on schema.table" || user(at)database || server ||
> >
> > or with 2 status boxes:

> I think I like the second one better, but this is just my opinion.

Aside from it being a needless amount of information to clutter the display
with, I can pretty much guarantee you won't be able to figure out a clean
way of sizing the panels to accomodate all that data without truncating one
or more of them for some selected objects.

I suspect I will end up objecting strongly to any patch that tries do do
what's being discussed.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com