Re: Idea: check SQL before copying to SQL dialogue.

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Erwin Brandstetter <brandstetter(at)falter(dot)at>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Idea: check SQL before copying to SQL dialogue.
Date: 2011-07-20 18:05:36
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 6:05 PM, Erwin Brandstetter
<brandstetter(at)falter(dot)at> wrote:
> Aloha!
>
> A lot of work has been put into when and where to refresh the browser
> window.
>
> From my experience it is often a _good_ thing, that changes via SQL are not
> reflected in the browser window immediately. Serves me well as a poor man's
> undo-tool.
> On the other hand, one tends to forget about refreshing the browser,
> especially casual users who are not aware on what occasions the browser's
> display is refreshed automatically.
> The major pitfall is with the option "Copy SQL from main form to SQL
> dialogue" - and most people use that one. If you forget to refresh
> beforehand, you may lose your most recent changes and may not even notice
> it.
> Keeps happening to me.
>
> How about this idea?
> - Whenever the "Copy SQL from main form to SQL dialogue" feature kicks in,
> check if the displayed SQL is the latest version.
> - If not, ask the user whether he wants the latest instead. (DO ask!)
> (We already have a similar check befor saving anything from a properties
> dialog.)
>
> Anybody trying hard enough can still screw up, with copy / paste, for
> instance. But this idea would take care of the major pitfall for me.
>
> Any +1's on this?

To do that we'd probably need a mechanism for doing quick refreshes at
any point - this is something we discussed at Char(11), but will
require fairly significant effort. The hope is to work on it for 1.16.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company