Re: After upgrade from 8.3 to 8.4 in OS X the same server is appearing twice

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Peter Hickman <peter(at)abelsoninfo(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: After upgrade from 8.3 to 8.4 in OS X the same server is appearing twice
Date: 2011-07-08 17:11:17
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Fri, Jul 8, 2011 at 4:45 PM, Peter Hickman <peter(at)abelsoninfo(dot)com> wrote:
> I recently upgraded my postgresql installation from 8.3 to 8.4 with fink on
> OS X. I did this by blowing away everything and doing a clean install.
>
> Now when I run pgadmin is see two servers one called "PostgreSQL 8.3
> (localhost:5432)" and the other is "PostgreSQL 8.4 (local:.s.PGSQL.5432)"
> but both have the same version string property and identify themselves as
> 8.4 and both connect to the same databases.
>
> What have I done wrong and why does one insist on calling itself 8.3?

On Mac, pgAdmin will only auto-add servers that are registered in
/etc/postgres-reg.ini. As far as I know, only the EDB installers do
this, and as you're using Fink obviously the server shouldn't be
auto-added, leading to a minor mystery.

If I had to guess, I'd say your 8.3 installation was from the EDB
installer, and you didn't use the uninstaller to remove it, so pgAdmin
thinks it's still there. If that seems right, just delete the
appropriate lines in /etc/postgres-reg.ini, then delete the unwanted
server in pgAdmin.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com