Re: XLogInsert scaling, revisited

From: Ants Aasma <ants(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: XLogInsert scaling, revisited
Date: 2013-07-08 10:21:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 12:16 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
<hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com> wrote:
> Ok, I've committed this patch now. Finally, phew!

Fantastic work!

> I simplified the handling of xlogInsertingAt per discussion, and added the
> memory barrier to GetXLogBuffer(). I ran again the pgbench tests I did
> earlier with the now-committed version of the patch (except for some comment
> changes). The results are here:

I can't see a reason why a full memory barrier is needed at
GetXLogBuffer, we just need to ensure that we read the content of the
page after we check the end pointer from xlblocks. A read barrier is
enough here unless there is some other undocumented interaction. I
don't think it matters for performance, but it seems like good
practice to have the barriers exactly matching the documentation.

Regards,
Ants Aasma
--
Cybertec Schönig & Schönig GmbH