Re: Bug: Cannot pass null in Parameter in Query for ISNULL

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: bht(at)actrix(dot)gen(dot)nz
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug: Cannot pass null in Parameter in Query for ISNULL
Date: 2011-12-01 09:26:51
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On 1 December 2011 20:58, <bht(at)actrix(dot)gen(dot)nz> wrote:

> I hope you are not suggesting that I
> discuss this with PostgreSQL DB engine engineers. I really can't do
> that so I will keep requesting a fix here.

Actually, that was exactly what I was suggesting. As I described in my
previous mail, it's really not something that can be handled in the
driver. You want a change to how parameters of unknown type are
handled in IS NULL expressions; that's entirely server-side, the
driver has no idea what an IS NULL expression looks like. You'll
probably want a stronger argument than "our JPA implementation doesn't
pass type information" first though.

> Would it be possible that you open a request/ticket/issue where this
> can be addressed formally? This could be on the driver side or on the
> DB engine side - as long as the outcome is a resolution.

The -jdbc list is the right place to do this for the JDBC driver, so
you're already there.
For changes to the backend, the -hackers list is the place to discuss them.
There is a -bugs list & a bug reporting form that feeds that, but
usually any in-depth discussion moves on to the appropriate list.

That said, I don't have plans to look at this further, so you'll
either need to convince someone else that it's worth working on, or
provide a patch yourself. That's the way that most things beyond
obvious bugfixes get implemented - someone scratches their own itch
and contributes the changes.

If you want more support than that, there are 3rd parties that can
provide commercial support for you - see
http://www.postgresql.org/support/professional_support/

Oliver