Re: Index on timestamp fields

From: David Gardner <David(dot)Gardner(at)yucaipaco(dot)com>
To: Novice Postgresql-list <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Index on timestamp fields
Date: 2007-06-08 14:58:13
Lists: pgsql-novice
Thanks to Tom, and Richard for the advice. I will build an index against the expression.

I thought of a third possible solution. What I forgot to mention was that the query was part of a pl/pgsql function, and that the client only accesses the database through server side functions. So I have the ability to break the start column into start_date and start_time columns as long as I concatenate the two on the return value.

However the advice of creating an index against the expression is more elegant, and less intrusive on the existing database.

David Gardner, IT
The Yucaipa Companies
(310) 228-2855