Re: postgresql and Mac OS X

From: Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com>
To: pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: postgresql and Mac OS X
Date: 2008-10-28 23:03:53
Lists: pgsql-general
On Oct 28, 2008, at 3:41 PM, Tom Allison wrote:

> Relatively simple question that I hope doesn't start too much "Flame".
>
> I have recently had the opportunity to reformat my macbook hard
> drive, many thanks to suggestions from the actual Apple support
> team.  That's not why I'm writing to the postgres group...  But it's
> related.
>

> I have a fresh slate from which to build my development platform!!
>

> I can get postgresql installed in three flavors:
> EnterpriseDB has a dmg package for Mac.
> macports has their own package.
> fink also has their own package.

There's also http://www.postgresqlformac.com/ and I think one or two
others.

> I was using macports but got into a cluster-F on versions and
> multiple installs.  After a spell I had all four versions 8.0 - 8.3
> installed in order to use postgres, ruby, perl, and rails together.
>
> I'm interesting in knowing if this can be avoided by selecting one
> of the alternative sources of installation.  Any experiences with
> differences in installation and long term management from these
> sources?
>
> I'm more accustomed to using Linux for PostgreSQL, but in this
> situation Linux probably won't be my development arena but test/
> prod.  In the Linux environment I've had great success in getting
> migrations, upgrades, and languages to play well with PostgreSQL
> without the multi version issue.

I usually install postgresql from source on my macbook. I'm using it
for development, rather than production, so I don't have it starting
automatically via launchd, just start it with pg_ctl manually when I
need it.

Installing from source means I can avoid the fragility of macports or
fink, and know that I've built it in much the same way as the
postgresql or solaris installation I'd be using for production.

I didn't know about the EnterpriseDB dmg, though. I'll take a look at
that.

Cheers,
   Steve