tuning auto vacuum for highly active tables

From: "Bhella Paramjeet-PFCW67" <PBhella(at)Motorola(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: tuning auto vacuum for highly active tables
Date: 2010-03-23 20:54:37
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-performance

Hi All,

We have a postgres database in which couple of tables get bloated due to
heavy inserts and deletes. Auto vacuum is running. My question is how
can I make auto vacuum more aggressive? I am thinking of enabling
autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay and autovacuum_vacuum_cost_limit
parameters. Can anyone suggest how to calculate the appropriate values
for these parameters and if there are any side effects of enabling these
parameters. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Paramjeet Kaur