Re: backup and recovery

From: "Mark M(dot) Huber" <MHuber(at)VMdirect(dot)com>
To: "Jeff" <threshar(at)torgo(dot)978(dot)org>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: backup and recovery
Date: 2004-03-22 16:39:50
Lists: pgsql-admin
The file is just over 4 gig.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff [mailto:threshar(at)torgo(dot)978(dot)org]
Sent: Monday, March 22, 2004 6:19 AM
To: Mark M. Huber
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] backup and recovery

On Mar 18, 2004, at 3:08 PM, Mark M. Huber wrote:

> It seams that any backup and recovery sucks. My main db backup takes
> over two hours to complete and 13 hours to recover what am I doing
> wrong? Any hints?ideas? Recommendations?

Increasing sort_mem dramatically (say, 128M) will greatly speed things
up - especially with foriegn key creation and index creation (Those two
things are what takes the longest in a PG restore).  Be sure to turn it
back down to something normal after the store (If you didn't change it
on a single session)

However a 500k row table is not terribly big.. How big is the dump in
terms of MB?

--
Jeff Trout <jeff(at)jefftrout(dot)com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/