Re: controlling autovacuum during the day.

From: "John Lister" <john(dot)lister-ps(at)kickstone(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: controlling autovacuum during the day.
Date: 2008-12-17 15:20:41
Lists: pgsql-admin
> "John Lister" <john(dot)lister-ps(at)kickstone(dot)com> writes:
>> Cheers for the quick reply. I've tweaked them quite a bit, but we have
>> quite
>> a few heavily updated tables that i'd like vacuuming to keep them in
>> check.
>> Unfortunately the autovacuum does a FULL vacuum every so often locking
>> the
>> tables for quite a long time, i'd like to move these to the evening if
>> possible.
>
> Huh?  Autovacuum *never* does VACUUM FULL.

bizarre... Its been turned off for a while, but from memory the autovacuum
process was causing the table it was running on to be locked  - I assumed
this was an equivalent to VACUUM FULL - causing all other connections to
wait until it had finished. Could this happen another way, i thought the
other vacuum options acted passively... I'll turn it back on and see what
happens...