Re: FOR SHARE vs FOR UPDATE locks

From: Jim Nasby <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-core(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FOR SHARE vs FOR UPDATE locks
Date: 2006-12-04 06:44:01
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

On Dec 1, 2006, at 10:46 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> If we
> do make it throw an error I'm afraid that we will break applications
> that aren't having a problem at the moment.

What about throwing a warning? Shouldn't break anything, but at least
then anyone who's experiencing this and has just gotten lucky so far
will have a better idea that it's happening.

As for possibly using the in-memory store of multiple CIDs affecting
a tuple, could that not work if that store contained enough
information to 'rollback' the lock to it's original state when
restoring to a savepoint? AFAIK other backends would only need to
know what the current lock being held was, they wouldn't need to know
the history of it themselves...
--
Jim Nasby jim(at)nasby(dot)net