Trying to Creat a Rule

From: "Madel, Kurt" <KMadel(at)USInspect(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Trying to Creat a Rule
Date: 2000-08-11 17:14:42
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hello,

I am trying to create a RULE that updates the size of a class when a student
registers for that class and the register(module) table is updated, and
subtract 1 from the given class size when a student drops a course.
Actually, there is a class table and a module table. The class table's
primary key is id, the module table consists of every module that a student
can register for a given year containing a class id.

I think I have the INSERT RULE down, but am not sure about the UPDATE RULE:

CREATE RULE module_update AS
ON UPDATE TO module.a_q1
DO
SET class.size to class.size-1
WHERE class.id=old.a_q1
AND
set class.size to class.size+1
WHERE class.id=new.a_q1;

I am really not so sure about the 'and' part, but I need to do both updates
on class, using different WHERE criteria.

TIF,
Kurt