Re: Recommended/Not Recommended Hosts?

From: Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com>
To: SF Postgres <sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Recommended/Not Recommended Hosts?
Date: 2009-12-10 21:55:45
Lists: sfpug

On Dec 10, 2009, at 10:43 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> All,
>
> What hosts, both virtual hosts and colos, do you recommend for
> PostgreSQL-based applications, and which ones have you had bad
> experiences with? If we get a list together, we'll put it up somewhere
> community.
>
> For my part, I've had reasonably good experiences with:
>
> -- Rackspace rental servers (provided you're OK with Dell hardware)
> -- Layer42 for low-end colo, but watch your bandwith, they won't.
> -- Joyent for online data warehousing (if you can deal with Solaris)

I've been with Integra Telecom (nee ELI) for quite a few years. If you're
big enough that you need somewhere between a full cabinet and
a small cage, but are happy with a default route then they're well worth
a look. Solid provider, and very helpful NOC / support (even when
dealing with someone dumb enough to have let his switch
autonegotiate...). They're in Santa Clara.

I've also had a couple of U of space at Hurricane Electric in Fremont
forever, mostly as a backup location, and it's been pretty solid. It's been
years since I've actually been there, so I don't even remember what
the physical facility is like. (World+Dog resells space there, including
http://www.asaservers.com/ who'll sell you a box and host it at HE
for you).

Cheers,
Steve