Re: Is there a shortage of postgresql skilled ops people

From: Vivek Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Is there a shortage of postgresql skilled ops people
Date: 2007-04-09 13:15:18
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

On Mar 27, 2007, at 4:09 PM, Tony Caduto wrote:

> Another thing is this, how hard could it possibly be for a MS SQL
> DBA or Oracle DBA to pick up using PostgreSQL?
> I don't think it would take a decent admin of any database to come
> up to speed in a very short time as long as they were interested in
> doing so.

We've been working with a consultant to re-design/optimize some
existing DB systems we have running, and his background is mostly
Oracle and DB/2. Some of the optimizations -- actually operationally
related choices on how to do things -- are remarkably off-base for
Postgres. There is a *lot* to learn about a system before one can
truly "know" it.