Error: user does not exist

From: "Lentes, Bernd" <bernd(dot)lentes(at)gsf(dot)de>
To: <pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Error: user does not exist
Date: 2004-12-22 10:16:47
Lists: pgsql-cygwin
Hello to everyone,

I'm new to postgres-SQL. I have to admin a working solution with
postgres-SQL and cygwin unter Windows 2000.
I have cygwin dll version 1.3.17 and postgres 7.2.3-2 (output from
cygcheck -s).
>From the command-line i created a new user for postgres with createuser.
I see this user in the systemtables pg_shadow and pg_user.
If i want to give that user ALL PRIVILEGES on a certain database, i get
an error:

GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON DATABASE bestellung TO SYSTEM;

Error: parser: parse error at or near "bestellung"

Then i tried to put that user in a certain group (that this user has
more rights, i thought):

ALTER GROUP dbadmin ADD USER SYSTEM;

Error: user "system" does not exist

I created the user SYSTEM with big characters, this is necessary in this
case.
The group dbadmin exists and is visible in pg_group.

Anyone has an idea ?
I'm new to postgres and cygwin.

Thanks a lot, and nice christmas.

Bernd

pgsql-cygwin by date

Next:From: bernd.lentesDate: 2004-12-22 12:47:00
Previous:From: Mike G.Date: 2004-12-22 03:42:51
Subject: Re: postmaster won't start after 'kill -9'