Re: Testing with concurrent sessions

From: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Subject: Re: Testing with concurrent sessions
Date: 2010-01-03 18:53:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Jan 1, 2010, at 6:01 PM, Kevin Grittner wrote:

> It's very soon going to be critical that I be able to test particular
> interleavings of statements in particular concurrent transaction sets
> to be able to make meaningful progress on the serializable
> transaction work. It would be wonderful if some of these scripts
> could be integrated into the PostgreSQL 'make check' scripts,
> although that's not an absolute requirement. I'm not really
> concerned about performance tests for a while, just testing the
> behavior of particular interleavings of statements in multiple
> sessions. If psql isn't expected to support that soon, any
> suggestions? Is pgTAP suited to this?

We've discussed it a bit in the past with regard to testing replication and such. I think the consensus was, failing support for concurrent sessions in psql, to use a Perl script to control multiple psql sessions and perhaps use Test::More to do the testing. Although pgTAP might make sense, too, if the tests ought to run in the database.

Best,

David