Re: linux. ossp-uuid

From: Basil Bourque <basil(dot)list(at)me(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: linux. ossp-uuid
Date: 2010-12-22 02:00:32
Lists: pgsql-sql

As documented here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/uuid-ossp.html

Rather than assuming the host operating system has an implementation of UUID, Postgres depends on the presence of a specific implementation of UUID generation & handling. This open-source implementation is called "OSSP uuid", found here:
http://www.ossp.org/pkg/lib/uuid/

My guess:
You compiled the code necessary for Postgres to reach out to this UUID implementation. But you are missing the actual UUID implementation.

The OneClick installer from EnterpriseDB.com placed this on my Mac, which I assume is the UUID implementation:
/Library/PostgreSQL/9.0/lib/postgresql/uuid-ossp.so

In addition I found what I assume is the code that enables Postgres to reach out and call that implementation.
/Library/PostgreSQL/9.0/lib/libuuid.dylib
/Library/PostgreSQL/9.0/lib/libuuid.la

Lastly I found this SQL script which I ran to enable the already-complied code:
/Library/PostgreSQL/9.0/share/postgresql/contrib/uuid-ossp.sql

I'm no expert, but I hope that helps.

--Basil Bourque