Create database error template 1 busy

From: "Clay, Bruce" <bclay(at)ball(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Create database error template 1 busy
Date: 2005-03-24 17:03:47
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Set new_b_flag = TRUE

-----------------

Currently using PostgreSql 8.1 on a Windows XP precompiled release.

-----------------

I am trying to create a data base with the following command going into
pqexec()

CREATE DATABASE \"World\" WITH OWNER = bclay"

" ENCODING = 'UNICODE' TABLESPACE = gisData"

I always get the following error message:

"source database "template1 is being accessed by
other users"

There are no other users of this database since I am creating the GIS
database from scratch.

Based on comments I found on the net when others encountered the same
error message, I closed pgAdmin III to make sure it is not causing the
problem.

The next step in debugging I restarted pgAdmin III and tried the same
command there and got the same message.

pgAdmin III shows "template1" to be the initial database.

It turns out that the only way I can create a database is to specify
template0 in the Create Database call or use pgAdmin to create one that
can use template1.

-----------------

Issue 2

Also, when I tried to add a comment while creaating the database using
the following string:

" COMMENT ON DATABASE \"World\" IS 'World GIS
Database'"

the create works but I the comment does not show up.

Is there a way to add a comment programmatically?

-----------------

Issue 3

How to get database description?

1. I added a description filed using pgAdmin. I can see the description
I added in pgAdmin when I click on the database name so I know it is
there.

2. If I issue the command < select * from pg_database > in pgAdmin query
I see all of the current databases but no description strings.

3. If I issue the command < select * from pg_description > in pgAdmin
query I see all of the descriptions that I added from pgAdmin but the
objoid is not the same as the oid that shows when I issued the < select
* from pg_database > command. So I can not select the correct
description.

Is there a way to go from any pg_database ID to a corresponding
pg_description ID to retrieve the correct description?

Bruce