Re: Pre-allocate space in advance

From: "Tomeh, Husam" <htomeh(at)firstam(dot)com>
To: "Scott Marlowe" <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pre-allocate space in advance
Date: 2005-11-01 17:38:48
Lists: pgsql-admin
Sorry about that.

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Marlowe [mailto:smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 01, 2005 9:25 AM
To: Tomeh, Husam
Cc: Tom Lane; pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: RE: [ADMIN] Pre-allocate space in advance

On Tue, 2005-11-01 at 11:17, Tomeh, Husam wrote:
>  I don't have any numbers; and it may be an misconception as you
> out that's out there among Oracle DBAs that need to be re-visited
> Tom, could you also explain what you meant in a previous post I found
> during my research on this issue, which I may have misunderstood it:
> actually wish that Postgres would preallocate a lot of blocks in
> (ie. 100 x 8KB). That would probably improve performance, as it would
> not have to keep re-extending the file."
> Thanks,

Ummm, that was a different Tom, wasn't it?

This message contains confidential information intended only for the
use of the addressee(s) named above and may contain information that
is legally privileged.  If you are not the addressee, or the person
responsible for delivering it to the addressee, you are hereby
notified that reading, disseminating, distributing or copying this
message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message by
mistake, please immediately notify us by replying to the message and
delete the original message immediately thereafter.

Thank you.                                       FADLD Tag

pgsql-admin by date

Subject: Re: UNIQUE KEY with null value...