Re: hardware raid suggestions

From: Mark Aufflick <mark(at)pumptheory(dot)com>
To: Brian Hirt <bhirt(at)mobygames(dot)com>
Cc: "<pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org> <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: hardware raid suggestions
Date: 2004-07-16 03:25:17
Lists: pgsql-performance

Not sure what your hw platform is, but I always used to get fantastic
performance from Compaq Smart Array battery backed cards. Note that I
haven't bought any recently so HP may have "hp invent"-ed them...

But whatever the brand - if you get a swag of battery backed cache you
won't know yourself. It's fun to install an OS on them as well - watch
the drive format and verify take 10 seconds ;)

Another option to look at is outboard raid boxes that present a single
drive "interface" to the server - I know people who swear by them.
--
Mark Aufflick
e mark(at)pumptheory(dot)com