Re: pg_upgrade project status

From: Greg Stark <greg(dot)stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)sun(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade project status
Date: 2009-01-29 09:49:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hm the previous proposal was to add syntax to create table to create
placeholder columns of specified width.

On the one hand the special syntax is less kludgy but on the other
hand keeping all the compatibility code in pg_dump is attractive. Net
I think prefer your solution.

I don't think name conflicts are a problem either since the original
name is long gone anyways. All you need to do is find a type with a
matching width and make a an arbitrary dummy name.

--
Greg