Re: More buildfarm stuff

From: Palle Girgensohn <girgen(at)FreeBSD(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: More buildfarm stuff
Date: 2005-07-19 22:54:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

--On tisdag, juli 19, 2005 15.11.31 -0400 Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
wrote:

> "Jim C. Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org> writes:
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2005-07/msg00096.php describes
>> what I think is causing octopus to fail. What's also interesting is
>> these patches from the FreeBSD port:
>
> None of those patches are necessary; if they were, we'd be seeing the
> failures at the build stage, not at runtime.
>
> regards, tom lane

Hi,

If memory serves me, the pic patches has something to do with the fact that
on some versions of FreeBSD's perl port, there was no shared library
version on libperl built, only a static one. I believe that if there was
only a static libperl.a, the PIC helped so that ``createlang plperl''
worked.

It could also have something to do with amd64?

Anyway, the patch *is* needed in some circumstances, and is a noop in
other. Sorry I can't be more helpful about what the patch is good for... ;-)

/Palle