Any way to disable backslash as a string literal escape character?

From: "Grant Allen" <Grant(dot)Allen(at)towersoft(dot)com(dot)au>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Any way to disable backslash as a string literal escape character?
Date: 2003-12-30 00:43:24
Lists: pgsql-general

I know this has been asked before - I've trawled through the mail archives and FAQs looking for any info, and only found "that's the way it works" answers.

Basically, I want to turn off backslash ( \ ) as an escape character in string literals. It makes porting apps to PostgreSQL much more difficult, because no major rdbms behaves this way (at least, none of Oracle, SQL Server, DB2, Sybase, Informix, SQL Anywhere or SQL Base ... the one's I've worked with). I know PostgreSQL isn't designed to be a clone of any of these, and I should love it the way it is :-) :-) :-), but this one quirk is annoying the hell out of me.

I'm guessing the answer will be no, because it would break things like null handling.

So, any postmaster switches, build/make options, etc.? Or should I get hacking myself?

Ciao
Fuzzy
:-)

The contents of this post are my opinions only
If swallowed seek medical advice