Re: BUG #3244: problem with PREPARE

From: "William Lawrance" <bill(dot)lawrance(at)bull(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #3244: problem with PREPARE
Date: 2007-04-23 21:02:04
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

We were about to submit a patch to ECPG to improve the performance
of embedded SQL, when we discovered that PREPARE had quit working.

Background:

We have a benchmark for a very large customer that consists of several
hundred programs containing several thousand embedded SQL statements.
In a three hour execution, millions of calls are made to the DBMS server.
This benchmark has been successfully executed using Oracle, DB2, and
PostgreSQL. In the benchmark, Postgres is shown to be slower, by far, than
the other DBMS systems.

While searching for ways to improve the PostgreSQL performance,
we noticed that query plans are not saved and re-used in the server
if accessed from the ECPG interface. In the customer benchmark this is key.
The program processes a large input file of work. For each item in the file
there is a large sequence of the application and SQL that must be executed.
For each subsequent item of the input file, many of the same SQL statements
are processed.

What we found was that each SQL statement was constructed by ECPG as
an ASCII string and presented to the postmaster to be re-optimized each
time the SQL was received. We found that using the 'prepare' interface
to save the query plan after the first execution would be a
significant savings - approximately 30% of the elapsed time of the
application. The reduction in elapsed time was over 1 hour for the
benchmark.

Details:

Our first attempt to use the ECPG prepare interface revealed that ECPG
doesn't use the PQlib prepare function. The ECPG prepare replaces any
parameters with their values and presents a new SQL statement to the
postmaster each time. We then tried to use the PQlib prepare interface.
There are several difficulties to be encountered when attempting to use
this within a program using the ECPG interface. For example, the
connection structure for PQlib isn't readily available, and the
transaction semantics must be synchronized with ECPG's state. This did
work, but it was fairly clumsy.

Since we wanted to do this in a cleaner manner, and also wished to avoid
changing the applications if possible, we used the following approach:

Within the "execute.c" module, we added routines to manage a cache
of prepared statements. These routines are able to search, insert,
and delete entries in the cache. The key for these cache entries is
the text of the SQL statement as passed by ECPG from the application
program.

Within the same module, we replaced the "ECPGexecute" function.
This is the function that is called to execute a statement after
some preliminary housekeeping is done. The original "ECPGexecute"
function constructs an ASCII string by replacing each host variable
with its current value and then calling "PQexec". The new
"ECPGexecute" function does the following:

- build an array of the current values of the host variables.

- search the cache for an entry indicating that this statement
has already been prepare'd, via "PQprepare"

- If no entry was found in the previous step, call "PQprepare"
for the statement and then insert an entry for it into the
cache. If this requires an entry to be re-used, execute a
"DEALLOCATE PREPARE.." for the previous contents.

- At this point, the SQL statement has been prepare'd by PQlib,
either when the statement was executed in the past, or in
the previous step.

- call "PQexecPrepared", using the array of parameters built
in the first step above.