Re: New MS patent: sounds like PG db rules

From: "Martin" <mgainty(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: "Justin" <justin(at)emproshunts(dot)com>,"Nikola Milutinovic" <alokin1(at)yahoo(dot)com>,<pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New MS patent: sounds like PG db rules
Date: 2008-05-29 15:17:24
Lists: pgsql-general
which is the reason why i think Design Patterns and Patterns are unpatentable..too many cooks created these meals to attribute to any one or group of individuals
The real challenge is the submittal process where one must submit at least 50% of the patentable code..what do you submit?

I always thought PostGIS whose algorithms were unique enough and whose creators were from a sufficiently small population
to place PostGIS into 'patentable' code but apparently PostGIS is firmly declared under 'GPL' to quote
"To prevent this, we have made it clear that any patent must be licensed for everyone's free use .."

Recalling an earlier year when a Lowell MA based company offered proprietary software which did'nt interoperate with other (GPL software..)
MS on the other hand seems to patent unique algorithms and or methodologies which are specific only to MS environments...

Interesting..
Martin