Inserts taking exponentially longer as table size grows

From: postgres bee <postgres_bee(at)live(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Inserts taking exponentially longer as table size grows
Date: 2009-12-15 19:30:44
Lists: pgsql-bugs

We have seen a strange situation with postgres 8.3.6 taking longer times for inserting a fixed amount of data. The insertion time is increasing as the data in the table is growing. We tried to use COPY command but to no avail. The increase is also not linear. Insert is one of the basic operations. I am surprised to run into it on a fairly well established platform.

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/177141665/direct/01/