Re: NUMA architecture and PostgreSQL

From: Fabricio <fabrixio1(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: NUMA architecture and PostgreSQL
Date: 2008-11-27 19:59:17
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi Marko, thanks for your help...

> There is a bit higher level concept of cpusets too:
>
>   http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/online/pages/man7/cpuset.7.html
>

> In both cases, you can either patch Postgres or write a launcher
> that configures CPUs before executing postgres.

This paragraph is the liks of cpuset:
       On systems with kernels compiled with built in support for cpusets, all
       processes are attached to a cpuset, and cpusets are always present.  If a
       system supports cpusets, then it will have the entry nodev cpuset in the file
       /proc/filesystems.  By mounting the cpuset file system (see the EXAMPLE
       section below), the administrator can configure the cpusets on a system to
       control the processor and memory placement of processes on that system.  By
       default, if the cpuset configuration on a system is not modified or if the
       cpuset file system is not even mounted, then the cpuset mechanism, though
       present, has no affect on the system's behavior.

Do I need to mount the cpuset file system for use numactl?

Example:
numactl --membind=1 su - postgres -c "/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_ctl start -D
/usr/local/pgsql/data/"

The two liks are about programing, but can I use only numactl with postgres?

thanks  marko...

P.D. Live Search tiene una sorpresa buenísima, chécala aquí.
http://www.ganabuscando.com/Default.aspx