Re: How to tell what OS PostgreSQL is installed on.

From: Julio Leyva <jcleyva(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: <louis(dot)lam(at)guardium(dot)com>, <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to tell what OS PostgreSQL is installed on.
Date: 2009-10-08 21:13:39
Lists: pgsql-admin

as postgres user

psql -c "select version()";

From: louis(dot)lam(at)guardium(dot)com
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 16:58:33 -0400
Subject: [ADMIN] How to tell what OS PostgreSQL is installed on.
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org

Hi,

I have a need to find out what OS PostgreSQL is running
under. I need to be able to query the database or send a command and
figure it out. I also do not have super user permission to do this.
All I want to know is if the PostgreSQL I am connected to is running from
Windows or Non Windows.

I could do “Show data_directory” and parse the
result, but this require superuser permission.

I tried select version() also. Under Windows OS, I got
this:

version

PostgreSQL 8.3.6, compiled by Visual C++ build 1400

Does anyone know if Visual C++ is use to only compile
PostgreSQL for Windows? Or can other compiler be use? If Visual C++
is always use for Windows and Windows only then this is very good information I
can use.

I know on RedHat, I got this.

version

PostgreSQL 8.3.7 on i686-redhat-linux-gnu, compiled by
GCC gcc (GCC) 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-10)

And on Solaris I got this.

PostgreSQL 8.1.11 on sparc-sun-solaris2.10, compiled
by /ws/on10-tools/SUNWspro/SOS8/bin/cc -Xa

(1 row)

Thank you all in advance for your help.

Louis Lam