Re: is there a select for update insert if not exist type command?

From: Edson Richter <edsonrichter(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: is there a select for update insert if not exist type command?
Date: 2012-06-10 02:59:57
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

One of the possible strategies that comes to my mind is:

1) Log your "syslog stream" into PostgreSQL database (no need to record
all message, just a simple table the the event key and a flag
"processed" field)
2) When problem event arrives, the first server should "select for
update" on the event of syslog, then update a "processed" field (from
"0" to "1" or false to true, something like that).

When second server try to get the "select for update" on the events
table, it will fails, and then it can move ahead in the log looking for
other errors that need attention.
I cannot say how adversely this strategy would affect your system (or if
there are other contention involved, like page locks), but seems very
logical for me.
I've used this to distribute processing on users desktops for a massive
processing system with success (but using MySQL for storing data).

Regards,

Edson