Re: Stroring html form settings

From: Dianne Yumul <dianne(at)wellsgaming(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Stroring html form settings
Date: 2008-09-26 16:23:21
Lists: pgsql-general

First, I want to thank you for your help. You have made great points
and I just want to respond to some of your questions.

> My first thought is that if you use a combined "info" field, you'll
> lose the ability to easily do any kind of meaningful data analysis
> based on which boxes are checked. If you just want to record what a
> given user said at a certain time, but don't need it for any other,
> more interesting evaluation of the data, then why bother with a
> database?

You are right that I don't really need to do any evaluation of the
data, I just need to be able to get the default values of a form
every time the user logs on. Each user may have their own default
value for a form, and each form will have different components. A
database was the first (may be not the best?) thing I thought of.
Would you have other suggestions of how I should store them?

> If it were me, I would probably store the form values in the database
> fields, so that the table's columns matched the various data inputs in
> the form.

If the structure of each report did not differ this would work great
but unfortunately it does.

Thank you again.

Dianne