RE: ? (question mark) characters

From: "Rene Pijlman" <rene(at)lab(dot)applinet(dot)nl>
To: "Ricardo Pardini" <rpardini(at)organox(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: ? (question mark) characters
Date: 2001-08-30 13:42:44
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Ricardo Pardini wrote:
> they're all broken considering Portuguese characters
> like áéíóú (aeiou with accent)... they are replaced
> by question marks (?)... any ideas?

What's the character encoding of the database? See
http://postgresql.demunnikservices.nl/users-lounge/docs/7.1/admi
n/multibyte.html (this documentation is about character
encoding, not just multibyte support like the title suggests).
And see also
http://fts.postgresql.org/db/mw/msg.html?mid=1029464 about how
multibyte support relates to character encoding support.

Are these special characters converted when you store them in
the database, or when you retrieve them from he database?

>Should I try to compile my own drivers?

No, that won't fix it.

Regards,
René Pijlman