Full-time Postgres DBA opening

From: Ben Chobot <bench(at)mozy(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jobs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Full-time Postgres DBA opening
Date: 2010-05-13 00:27:57
Lists: pgsql-jobs

Hello everybody. My company, Mozy, is looking to hire another postgres DBA immediately. The work is fairly typical DBA stuff, but unlike many internet companies, our problems focus on how to stay ahead of the growth curve, not how to start growing. The pay is competitive, and we'd be willing to help you relocate to work in our offices in Seattle (WA), Pleasant Grove (UT), Hopkinton (MA), Montreal, Cork, Bangalore, or Shangai.... or, if you're a proven superstar, then working from the comfort of your home isn't out of the question.

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them. Or just send me your resume. (Or you can apply via mozy.com, but sending me your resume directly will be faster.) Here's the official blurb, complete with corporate kool-aid:

Mozy by Decho (mozy.com) is the creator of the top SMB and consumer-focused online backup services, MozyHome and MozyPro and operates one of the largest distributed storage systems in the world, with tens of petabytes of user data stored across the world. We are dedicated to helping people protect, manage and enrich their “digital echo” – the valuable and ever-growing body of personal, digital information that reverberates through our lives. Backed by the storage giant, EMC, we are uniquely poised to continue expanding our position and take this very exciting business to newer heights – with your contribution. If you thrive in a challenging, fresh, and innovative environment, take a look at this great opportunity:

GENERAL SUMMARY

The position will have responsibility and operational ownership of Mozy’s Postgres database. This individual should have good working knowledge of configuring and tuning web and application server components. May be responsible for approving the database and application design, performance management of all the database and application tier components, evaluating future database management strategies, providing guidance in acquiring requisite system software and hardware as well as developing procedures for database and applications change control. Implement and test disaster recovery procedures and solutions. Administer and implement strict security integrity controls.

PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Creates new database objects, dictionaries. Creates lists, control tables (and records) and uses pre-defined coding schemes necessary to process data with inputs from development/user groups and creates standard documentation. Conducts/creates or updates data validation checks using industry standard methodology.
- Perform security management by auditing and maintaining roles, privileges, and user profiles.
- Develops, upgrades, and maintains large size database systems.
- May be responsible for planning and upgrading of major and complex application and database upgrades.
- Work within cross functional teams within Operations, Engineering and QA
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills
- The ability to mentor/train others on various production databases

REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- 6+ years DBA experience; must have 2+ recent years with PostgreSQL or 5-6 years with MYSQL
- Solid understanding of RDBM concepts and normalization
- Solid understanding of what affects system performance
- Experience managing multiple database servers in a high-traffic, 24x7 environment
- Experience tuning complex SQL queries involving sub-selects, views, triggers, rules, and procedures
- Excellent communication, consulting, and presentation skills
- Comfort with the unix command line
- Source control

DESIRED SKILLS:
- Linux server administration (double bonus for debian)
- Ruby on Rails
- Slony-I
- git (more points for gerrit)

Decho, an EMC Company, is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer that values the strength diversity brings to the workplace.
Decho does not accept unsolicited Agency Resumes. Decho will not pay fees to any third party agency or firm that does not have a signed “Decho Agency Fee Agreement”.