Re: not in(subselect) in 8.4

From: Scott Carey <scott(at)richrelevance(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz <gryzman(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: not in(subselect) in 8.4
Date: 2009-02-21 19:29:10
Lists: pgsql-performance

Are there any optimizations planned for the case where columns are defined as NOT NULL? Or other special path filtering for cases where the planner can know that the set of values in the subselect won't contain NULLs (such as in (select a from b where (a > 0 and a < 10000).

It turns out to be a rare use case for someone to write a subselect for a NOT IN or IN clause that will have NULL values. In the common case, the subselect does not contain nulls. I would like to see Postgres optimize for the common case.