Re: Poor plan choice in prepared statement

From: Scott Carey <scott(at)richrelevance(dot)com>
To: bricklen <bricklen(at)gmail(dot)com>, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Poor plan choice in prepared statement
Date: 2008-12-30 21:09:24
Lists: pgsql-performance

There is no way to force Postgres to re-plan a prepared statement. In many cases, this would be a hugely beneficial feature (perhaps part of the definition of the statement?).

I have had similar issues, and had to code the application to prevent SQL injection (Postgres $ quotes and other stuff is helpful, but not always adequate or easy). With the current state of things, you'll have to often do your SQL injection defense in your application due to this weakness in prepared statements.

I have also had a case where one query would take a couple hundred ms to parse, but was fairly fast to plan and execute (1/3 the parse cost) -- yet another case where a prepared statement that re-plans each execution would be helpful. At least you can prevent SQL injection and cut the parse cost. Its not all about the cost of planning the query.