Re: Anyone using postgreSQL on Mac OS X installed by Fink?

From: Jeffrey Melloy <jmelloy(at)visualdistortion(dot)org>
To: Mat Rice <matrice(at)usa(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Anyone using postgreSQL on Mac OS X installed by Fink?
Date: 2002-12-15 19:30:59
Lists: pgsql-novice

I may be beating a dead horse here, but I just installed postgres using
fink.

The last line of the install process:

Success. You can now start the database server using:

sudo -u root sudo -u pgsql /sw/bin/pg_ctl \
-D /sw/var/postgresql/data -l /sw/var/log/postgresql/logfile
start

so to start it, type that. To start it with Liyanage's package, open
it up with whatever you want, and change the data directory to
/sw/var/postgresql/data and the executable part to /sw/bin/pg_ctl
instead of /use/local/pg_ctl. Glancing at the install log, it does
take care of all permissions modifications for you; you were just
pointing it at the wrong place.

I'm still going to recommend not using fink for this; the package is
out of date.