Error: server closed the connection unexpectedely

From: Janez Kostanjšek <janez(dot)kostanjsek(at)ensico(dot)si>
To: "Pgsql-General (E-mail)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Error: server closed the connection unexpectedely
Date: 2004-05-26 14:17:17
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello everyone,

this is my first post to postgres mailing list.

System that I use:
I am using Postgres under last CygWin published on public mirrors at the moment.
OS system runing is Windows 2000 professional, 1024 or 256 or 512 MB of RAM and 40Gb of disk.
Postmaster shows version 7.4.1

Problem:
When trying to create database using script file (containing only create DB, USERS, TABLES, INDEXES inside tables) using psql or pgadminIII after awhile (5 seconds or so) I get next error:

before or while processing the request.

in log file I get this:

LOG: server process (PID 1080) was terminated by signal 11
LOG: terminating any other active server processes
LOG: all server processes terminated; reinitializing
LOG: database system was interrupted at 2004-05-26 15:55:48 CEDT
LOG: checkpoint record is at 0/9DE7C8
LOG: redo record is at 0/9DE7C8; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE
LOG: next transaction ID: 534; next OID: 17142
LOG: database system was not properly shut down; automatic recovery in progress
LOG: redo starts at 0/9DE808
LOG: startup process (PID 1396) was terminated by signal 11
LOG: aborting startup due to startup process failure

This error happens sooner if I use pgadminIII and later if I use psql. I have instaled ipc-daemon2. I tried also with cygserver configuring enough memory, nothing happened.
I suspect error is somehow connected with size of one transaction. If transaction is small everything is OK. if transaction is large, this error happens.

I get the same error when doing vacuum analyze or when inserting larger amount of staff into database inside one transaction.

I tried to set next parameters from min to max in postgresql.conf but nothing helps (I get the same error).
shared_buffers = 10000
sort_mem = 2048
vacuum_mem = 8192
fsync = true
wal_buffers = 32
effective_cash_size = 5000
default_statistics_target = 50
tcpip_socket = true
max_connections = 32
other parameters are as default (I tried also with all parameters as default but problem remains the same).

I also tested memory (RAM), tests came out OK.

One interesting thing more:
On Linux RH8.0, Postgres 7.4.2 everything works fine. Also tried with the same postgresql.conf file on Linux,postgres 7.4.2. works ok, on Windows under CygWin, last postgres 7.4.1 have this error.

if somebody have a clue, what is going on here, please help.

Janez Kostanjsek
software engineer