Re: pg_dumpall affecting performance

From: "Plugge, Joe R(dot)" <JRPlugge(at)west(dot)com>
To: Mark Mikulec <mark(at)anticentertainment(dot)com>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dumpall affecting performance
Date: 2011-02-15 18:45:34
Lists: pgsql-performance

I was always under the impression that pg_dump and pg_dumpall cause all data to be read in to the buffers and then out, (of course squeezing out whatever may be active). That is the big advantage to using PITR backups and using a tar or cpio method of backing up active containers and shipping off to another system, disk or api to tape system.