Re: Temporary table retains old contents on update eventually causing slow temp file usage.

From: Rusty Conover <rconover(at)infogears(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Temporary table retains old contents on update eventually causing slow temp file usage.
Date: 2006-07-18 17:12:23
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Jul 18, 2006, at 6:22 AM, Gavin Sherry wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Jul 2006, Rusty Conover wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> It would seem that doing any changes on a temp table forces a copy of
>> the entire contents of the table to be retained in memory/disk. Is
>> this happening due to MVCC? Is there a way to change this behavior?
>> It could be very useful when you have really huge temp tables that
>> need to be updated a few times before they can be dropped.
>
> This is caused by our MVCC implementation. It cannot be easily
> changed. We
> rely on MVCC for two things: concurrency and rolling back of aborted
> commands. Without the latter, we couldn't support the following
> trivially:
>
> template1=# create temp table bar (i int);
> CREATE TABLE
> template1=# begin;
> BEGIN
> template1=# insert into bar values(1);
> INSERT 0 1
> template1=# abort;
> ROLLBACK
> template1=# select * from bar;
> ---
> (0 rows)
>
> It would be nice if we could special case temp tables because of
> the fact
> that concurrency does not come into the equation but I cannot see it
> happening without a generalised overwriting MVCC system.
>
> The only alternative in the mean time is to vacuum your temporary
> table(s)
> as part of your interaction with them.

I forgot to add in my original post that the temporary tables I'm
dealing with have the "on commit drop" flag, so really persisting
beyond the transaction isn't needed. But I don't think that makes
any difference, because of savepoints' required functionality.

The problem with vacuuming is that you can't do it by default right
now inside of a transaction.

Reading vacuum.c though, it leaves the door open:

/*
* We cannot run VACUUM inside a user transaction block; if we were
inside
* a transaction, then our commit- and start-transaction-command calls
* would not have the intended effect! Furthermore, the forced
commit that
* occurs before truncating the relation's file would have the
effect of
* committing the rest of the user's transaction too, which would
* certainly not be the desired behavior. (This only applies to VACUUM
* FULL, though. We could in theory run lazy VACUUM inside a
transaction
* block, but we choose to disallow that case because we'd rather
commit
* as soon as possible after finishing the vacuum. This is
mainly so that
* we can let go the AccessExclusiveLock that we may be holding.)
*
* ANALYZE (without VACUUM) can run either way.
*/

Since we're dealing with a temporary table we shouldn't have any
problems with the AccessExclusiveLock. Would lazy vacuuming mark the
pages as free? I assume it wouldn't release them or shrink the size
of the relation, but could they be reused on later updates in that
same transaction?

Cheers,

Rusty
--