Password Security or Alternate way to authenticate

From: "Cassiano, Marco" <mcassiano(at)manord(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Password Security or Alternate way to authenticate
Date: 2007-06-11 16:29:07
Lists: pgsql-odbc
Hi all,

I have a linux box (RH4) with MicroFocus Cobol connecting via psqlodbc to my data base server (RH4 - Postgres 8.2.4).
In ODBC.ini  user/password are in clear text and the file is readable to users which executes the MF Cobol applications.
I would like to hide these information by either protecting the odbc.ini file or using an alternate way to authenticate to the postgres database (i.e. kerberos, certificates, ssh keys, ....)
Whant could I do?
Forgive me in case my question is silly.
I would appreciate your help
Thanks a lot

Marco Cassiano

Manifatture del Nord srl unipersonale
Gruppo MaxMara

via Mazzacurati 6
42100 Reggio Emilia RE
ITALY

Tel. +39 0522 358215
Fax +39 0522 268715
email : mcassiano(at)manord(dot)com
www.pennyblack.com <outbind://1/www.pennyblack.com>

The contents of the present communication is strictly confidential and reserved solely to the referred addressees. In the event was received by person different from the addressee, it is forbidden the diffusion, distribution and copy. In the event you have received it mistakenly we ask you to inform us and to destroy and/or to delete it by your computer, without using the data herein contained.

The present message (eventual annexes inclusive) shall not be considered any contractual proposal and/or acceptance of offer coming from the addressee, nor waiver neither recognizance of rights, debts and/or credits, and it shall not be binding, when it is not executed a subsequent agreement by person who could lawfully represent us. No pre-contractual liability shall derive to us, when the present communication is not followed by any binding agreement between the parties.

pgsql-odbc by date

Next:From: Rainer BauerDate: 2007-06-11 17:18:50