PgAdmin : table backup problem

From: "Cassiano, Marco" <mcassiano(at)manord(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PgAdmin : table backup problem
Date: 2007-02-15 08:38:57
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello everybody,

I have a problem when I try to backup a table from inside PgAdmin.
If I select a table and choose to backup it, I get the following result :

C:\Programmi\pgAdmin III\1.6\pg_dump.exe -i -h pgsvil.manord.com -p 5432 -U user -F c -v -f "C:\collezioni.backup" -t collezioni -n anamat mdn
pg_dump: server version: 8.2.1; pg_dump version: 8.2.0
pg_dump: proceeding despite version mismatch
pg_dump: No matching tables were found
pg_dump: *** aborted because of error

Il processo ha ritornato il codice di uscita 1.

The version mismatch is just a warning. Pg_dump tries to continue despite of that. (By the way, I have the last version of Pg_Admin installed, 1.6.2)

The real problem is the second one : "pg_dump: No matching tables were found"

If I understand well, PgAdmin fails in composing the correct pg_dump command.
The switch combination -t collezioni -n anamat doesn't work. The manual says that the -n switch is ignored when -t is used

The right (at least, working) syntax seems to be the following :

/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_dump -U user -F c -v -f /tmp/collezioni.backup -t anamat.collezioni mdn

That is : I have to prepend the schema to table name in the -t switch.

Here is the backup result :

pg_dump: reading schemas
pg_dump: reading user-defined functions
pg_dump: reading user-defined types
pg_dump: reading procedural languages
pg_dump: reading user-defined aggregate functions
pg_dump: reading user-defined operators
pg_dump: reading user-defined operator classes
pg_dump: reading user-defined conversions
pg_dump: reading user-defined tables
pg_dump: reading table inheritance information
pg_dump: reading rewrite rules
pg_dump: reading type casts
pg_dump: finding inheritance relationships
pg_dump: reading column info for interesting tables
pg_dump: finding the columns and types of table "collezioni"
pg_dump: finding default expressions of table "collezioni"
pg_dump: flagging inherited columns in subtables
pg_dump: reading indexes
pg_dump: reading indexes for table "collezioni"
pg_dump: reading constraints
pg_dump: reading foreign key constraints for table "collezioni"
pg_dump: reading triggers
pg_dump: reading triggers for table "collezioni"
pg_dump: reading dependency data
pg_dump: saving encoding = LATIN1
pg_dump: saving standard_conforming_strings = off
pg_dump: dumping contents of table collezioni

I also tried to copy pg_dump.exe from a Postgres 8.2.3 install into the PgAdmin directory. The only result has been to eliminate the version mismatch problem.

Thank you for any advice

Marco Cassiano

Manifatture del Nord srl unipersonale
Gruppo MaxMara

via Mazzacurati 6
42100 Reggio Emilia RE
ITALY

Tel. +39 0522 358215
Fax +39 0522 268715
email : mcassiano(at)manord(dot)com
www.pennyblack.com <outbind://27/www.pennyblack.com>

The contents of the present communication is strictly confidential and reserved solely to the referred addressees. In the event was received by person different from the addressee, it is forbidden the diffusion, distribution and copy. In the event you have received it mistakenly we ask you to inform us and to destroy and/or to delete it by your computer, without using the data herein contained.

The present message (eventual annexes inclusive) shall not be considered any contractual proposal and/or acceptance of offer coming from the addressee, nor waiver neither recognizance of rights, debts and/or credits, and it shall not be binding, when it is not executed a subsequent agreement by person who could lawfully represent us. No pre-contractual liability shall derive to us, when the present communication is not followed by any binding agreement between the parties.