Position Title: Open Source DBA
Team: Enterprise Information Technology
Date Revised: 03/2011
FLSA Status: Exempt
To start the application process send your resume to jobs(at)intermedix(dot)com referencing the position title.
The Database Administrator's role is to design, install, monitor, maintain, and performance tune production databases (primarily MySQL and PostgreSQL) while ensuring high levels of data availability. This individual is also responsible for developing, implementing, and overseeing database policies and procedures to ensure the integrity and availability of databases and their accompanying software.
Strategy & Planning
* Assess and develop long-term strategic goals for production databases in conjunction with data owners and department managers.
* Work with application development staff to develop database architectures, coding standards, and quality assurance policies and procedures.
* Design and implement redundant systems, policies, and procedures for backups, disaster recovery, and data archiving to ensure effective protection and integrity of data assets.
* Design and update database schemas to optimize tiered deployment from Development, Test, and Production environments.
Acquisition & Deployment
* Conduct research and make recommendations on database products, services, protocols, and standards in support of procurement and development efforts.
* Plan and carry out appropriate database migrations (for instance MySQL 4.x to MySQL5.x).
* Monitor and optimize SQL queries, including analyzing the cost and benefits of indexing various tables.
* Create models for new database development and/or changes to existing ones.
* Install and configure relevant network components to ensure database access as well as database consistency and integrity.
* Respond to and resolve database access (user administration) and performance issues.
* Monitor database system details within the database, including stored procedures and execution time, and implement efficiency improvements (including suggesting changes to configuration files such as my.conf)
* Monitor, optimize and allocate physical data storage (SAN, DAS, as well as internal storage) for database systems.
* Plan and coordinate data migrations between systems.
* Develop, implement, and maintain change control and testing processes for modifications to databases.
* Create, or support creation of, required reports in response to business user needs.
* Perform database transaction and security audits.
* Establish appropriate end-user database access control levels.
* Develop routines for end users to facilitate best practices database use.
* Manage and/or provide guidance to junior members of the team.
Formal Education & Certification
* College diploma or university degree in the field of computer science or at least 4 years equivalent work experience.
Knowledge & Experience
* Strong understanding of database structures, theories, principles, and practices.
* Working technical experience with designing, building, installing, configuring and supporting database servers. Significant expertise will be required in MySQL and PostgreSQL. Knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server and Oracle will be useful as well.
* Hands-on database tuning and troubleshooting experience with both MySQL and PostgreSQL databases.
* Hands-on experience in Linux (primarily CentOS or RedHat, as well as Gentoo and Ubuntu) installation, administration, and performance tuning.
* Demonstrated ability to backup and databases for archival as well as business continuity and disaster recovery.
* Experience with SAN arrays (EqualLogic).
* Experience with implementing a Data Warehouse.
* Experience with Business Intelligence (Business Objects).
* Experience with data processing flowcharting techniques.
* Project management experience.
* Good understanding of the organization's goals and objectives.
* Knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws (HIPAA HITECH, etc.)
* Good written and oral communication skills.
* Strong technical documentation skills.
* Good interpersonal skills.
* Good mentoring and training skills and ability to advise programmers on best practices and optimization techniques.
* Ability to conduct research into database issues, standards, and products as required.
* Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
* Highly self motivated and directed.
* Keen attention to detail.
* Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
* Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
* Strong customer service orientation.
* Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
* This position is based in either Houston or Oklahoma City.
* Sitting for extended periods of time.
* On-call availability.
* Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, power tools, and to handle other computer components.
* Lifting and transporting of moderately heavy objects, such as computers and peripherals
pgsql-jobs by date
|Next:||From: Bill Martin||Date: 2011-06-01 12:07:37|
|Subject: PostgreSQL Contract|
|Previous:||From: JP Mapping||Date: 2011-05-26 08:13:09|
|Subject: Postgres DBA required - Central London|