PGADMIN3 request for preferences-related behavior change

From: John Genoese <john(at)memoriesdreamsandreflections(dot)org>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PGADMIN3 request for preferences-related behavior change
Date: 2012-03-23 19:21:53
Lists: pgadmin-hackerspgadmin-support
Greetings, and thanks for a truly great product!

There's one thing that would make my life easier: the ability to save discrete PGADMIN3 preference files for discrete PGADMIN3 instances under the same user. Failing that, can we at least have the ability for the preferences file to have support for multiple versions/instances of PGADMIN3 (like Version-sensitive sections, or some such)?

I'm using Mac OS X (10.7) and my client base requires me to maintain both 8.4 and 9.1.3. On a Mac, this doesn't present any problem at all, because you guys did such a great packaging job. A thousand thanks for that, truly!

But what does present a problem is PGADMIN3. I have to manually change preferences each time I change versions, because the 1.12 pgadmin3 and the 1.14 pgadmin3 use the same physical file ( ~/Library/Preferences/pgadmin3 Preferences). I even tried to hack around using symbolic links, but PGADMIN3 writes back the properties file on exit, obliterating my symbolic link. Ouch! So there's really no way I can conveniently deploy multiple instances of PGADMIN3 without a great deal of hassle. If there's a way to do this that already exists (and I have looked, believe me) then I'm sorry, and you could point me to the doc and tell me to RTFM.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this, and thanks again for your great efforts! Well done!

John J. Genoese * Chief Technology Servant * Memories, Dreams, and Reflections LLC
518-592-1037 * Mobile 973-296-3662
john(at)memoriesdreamsandreflections(dot)org * http://www.memoriesdreamsandreflections.org

pgadmin-hackers by date

Next:From: Dave CramerDate: 2012-03-23 20:30:10