Re: Toronto PU[GB]

From: Steve Singer <ssinger_pg(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
To: Jonathan Fuerth <jonathan(at)fuerth(dot)ca>
Cc: torontopug(at)postgresql(dot)org, Ian Bailey <ian(at)hardcircle(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Toronto PU[GB]
Date: 2008-05-28 02:48:36
Lists: torontopug
On Tue, 27 May 2008, [utf-8] Jonathan Fuerth wrote:

> The Rhino sounds like a good choice. It helps that they have experience
> with other technical user groups.. So they know what to expect and we
> don't have to explain ourselves ahead of time. Plus, on a purely selfish
> note, the location is convenient for me since I just moved to
> Parkdale-High Park in December. :)

The Rhino or Olympic pizza sound like they could work.  From a location
point of view something near Yonge & Sheppard is worth thinking of (near the
subway and the 401).  I don't know what's up there these days (I'm in
Oakville).   Once the mailing list is working and we have subscribers we can
see if anyone has some other ideas.

I looked at some of the local user groups with regularly scheduled
meetings.  That second week is already pretty active. I also suspect pubs
will be more accomidating on a Monday,Tuesday or Wednesday.

    M T W T F
  1   J
  2 A L U
  3   P B
  4     p

p=Perl
P=Python
J=Java User group
L=Toronto Lug
U=Unix Unanimous
B=gtabug
A=Ajax pub night
Ruby: Second sunday of each month

http://gtalug.org/wiki/Other_Opensource_Computing_groups
http://www.geekstreet.ca/usergroups.php

> To throw out another option, I've been attending GTABUG regularly for
> years. We've had a great experience at Olympic 76 Pizza (near Yonge and
> Bloor). Friendly staff, good pizza, and 3 kinds of beer on tap. GTABUG
> meets there on the 3rd Wednesday of evey month. A number of GTABUG
> regulars are PostgreSQL enthusiasts.
>
> There's also a long-standing group, "Unix Unanimous," that meets on the
> second Wednesday of the month. They start the evening in a small lecture
> room at UofT, then go for dinner as a group at a restaurant near Bloor and
> Spadina. I bring this up because a number of PostgreSQL enthusiasts also
> regularly attend that meeting.
>
> -Jonathan

torontopug by date

Next:From: Ian BaileyDate: 2008-05-28 14:15:07
Subject: New User Groups: Toronto, Oklahoma